Partner Event of the #EUGreenWeek, European Forum on Urban Forestry (EFUF), European Forest Institute (EFI) and CLEARING HOUSE project
A tree on your doorstep is a forest in your mind.
The City of Ljubljana, the Barcelona Metropolitan Area (AMB) and the Brussels Capital Region have all recently been awarded Tree Cities of the World status (TCoW). Bringing together the three cities as a partner event of the EU Green Week, European Forum on Urban Forestry (EFUF), European Forest Institute (EFI) and CLEARING HOUSE project, invite you to join an online ‘tree awakening’ activity – focus – celebration of trees to build and strengthen existing relationships at a continental level.
The 2-hour interactive online event is targeted at practitioners, researchers, policymakers and everyone eager to explore ways to work together towards a greener and more resilient future in cities around Europe and beyond.
The ‘tree awakening’ will follow the main theme of the life of a tree in the city, which will be explored by a range of high-level speakers and throughout a technical panel discussion, where participants have the opportunity to engage in an interactive Q&A session.
To round off the ‘tree awakening’, attendees and urban adventurers are invited to explore trees and forests around the City of Ljubljana, the Barcelona Metropolitan Area (AMB) and the Brussels Capital Region from anywhere around the globe or in-situ to as a self-guided tree discovery excursion to learn about the manifold opportunities and challenges urban green encompasses in these three areas.
11 June, 10:30-12:30 CEST
- Introduction and Welcome – Elisabeth Pötzelsberger (EFI)
- Inspirational Speech – Chris Baines, environmental campaigner
- Exploring three tree cities of the world – City of Ljubljana, Brussels Capital Region, Barcelona Metropolitan Area
10:50 Speaker Session
Moderator: John Parker, Arboricultural Association
- Moving from Nature Based Solutions to Nature Based Thinking – Thomas Randrup (SLU)
- Tree cities of the world – Simone Borelli (FAO)
- The 3-30-300 rule – Cecil. C. Konijnendijk van den Bosch (NBSI)
- Q&A Session with speakers
10-minutes comfort break
11:40 Technical Panel Discussion
Opportunities and Challenges of Managing Trees in Cities
- City of Ljubljana –Nejc Praznik/ Andrej Verlič, JP VOKA SNAGA
- Brussels Capital Region – Valérie Decoux, Brussels Mobility, Public Service of the Brussels Capital Region
- Barcelona Metropolian Area – Antoni Farrero, Metropolitan Area of Barcelona (AMB)
12:15 Introducing the ActionBound Discovery Walks in the City of Ljubljana, Brussels Capital Region and Barcelona Metropolitan Area & Closing
- ActionBound Introduction – Vera Franziska Knill (EFI/EFUF) and brief introduction of discovery walks by city representatives
- Closing Words by Clive Davies (EFI, EFUF, CH)
We are looking forward to seeing you online.